Friday, December 07, 2007

Another Day in Paradise

Winter has officially arrived. Snow covers the grass, the wet pavement reflects the grey overcast sky, and 25% of my 5th grade class is out sick.
I tried to keep Michelle from looking outside before she'd had her first cup of coffee, but she looked before I warned. Let's just say that days like today are not her favorite, especially when Google weather lists the temperature in Charleston as 71 degrees. Surely her sister is walking on the beach with Scout in short sleeves and flip-flops. Having to bundle up in an insulated coat, wool hat and long handles makes it just a little more difficult to get moving.
As for me, the grey snowy morning brings out the first stirrings of ski season. Knowing that snow has finally begun to cover the slopes - all of them, not just the ski runs man-made "snow" -inspires me to brave the ladder and the garage crawl space to retrieve my ski bag.
I-70 remains too daunting a path to hit a resort, but our plans to rediscover the backcountry at Berthoud Pass gets the blood pumping in the ski legs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home